At St Peter’s we actively promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs. We do this in order to ensure that our pupils leave school prepared for life in modern Britain.
Below is a list of some of the different actions that we take:
- The school participates in and celebrates UK Parliament Week each year with the aim of ensuring our pupils learn what democracy is and how they can get involved. Throughout the week, pupils learn: • What is Parliament? • What is the Government? • Why do we need laws? • What do Members of Parliament do?
- Our curriculum, where applicable, includes key references to fundamental British Values. For example, ‘democracy’ is a key concept of our History curriculum and is taught within our units on Ancient Greece, the Suffragettes, WWII and Civil Rights.
- We ensure all pupils within the school have a voice that is listened to - we regularly use pupil voice to help us with school developments as well as ensuring pupils are given the opportunity to join community groups where they can discuss issues they feel passionate about such as our Green Team, Diversity Defenders and Tsai Island Link Council.
- We actively promote democratic processes such as our school council whose members are voted for by the pupils.
- RE lessons aim to help the children understand the way different people or groups of people can see the world differently and give them the opportunity to develop their own views, whilst still maintaining respect for the views of others. This enables our children to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Our children are heavily involved in fundraising for external charities as well as for the school, sometimes through their own initiatives and this highlights to them that they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely.
Our mission statement highlights the importance we place on such values and that we embed them in all that we do - To empower and inspire a community of lifelong learners by providing an education of the head, heart and hands in order to change our world for the better.