Navigation
Home Page

History of our School

Please enjoy reading about our school & village history. There are links to external websites for further reading on some of the topics and persons involved, all in bold lettering. Thank You
Picture 1 1883 Map of Ruddington, showing 3 school locations
Picture 2 St Peter's School, 1852-1973. -Photo 1923
Picture 3 Ruddington Endowed School, 1875-1973. -Photo 1923
Picture 4 Ruddington County Secondary School, 1958-1972
Picture 5 St Peter's Rooms today
Picture 6 Private ownership today
Picture 7 Old Chapel, now the Framework Knitters museum
Picture 8 St Peters C of E Junior School, 1973-present

The Start of Ruddington's Education > In his will of 1641, James Peacock gave a tenement and adjoining cottage for the purposes of a free-school & money for the appointment of a school master. This was the start of the James Peacock Free School. The original school was a wood and thatched building that taught boys and girls for over 200 years & was moved at some point in time to Town Street, now Church Street. Both sexes attended the free-school. Education was free, except that payment had to be made for books, and a contribution made for coal. This original building was replaced by a purpose built brick building in 1875 on the corner of Asher Lane  . This was the start of  Ruddington Endowed Boys School and the building is still there today.

 

Expansion of schools > A Infant & Girls School, was built in 1852 for Sir Thomas Parkynsand was dedicated to the memory of his grandmother and parents. It was later known as Ruddington St. Peter’s Junior School or Church School and was subsequently converted to a community hall in 1976 which is now St. Peter's Rooms

 

School on Chapel Street? > Methodists were meeting at a house on Church Street belonging to John Blood.

In 1828 they acquired land in what was to become known as Chapel Street, and on 22 February 1829 opened their first chapel. This chapel remained in use until 1873, when a new chapel was built on Church Street, to house the growing congregation. At first the old chapel was used as an additional schoolroom, and in the 1890s temporarily became a social club for navvies building the Great Central Railway. It was sold to the Misses Paget of Ruddington Grange, who donated it to St Peter's Church. It became known as Church House, and was used for social events and meetings. During the 1940s it accommodated the overflow from the Church School. In 1966 the old chapel was sold to a Mr Greenaway, and used as a warehouse for a time. By the early 1990s it was being used as a social club known as The Starlight Rooms. In 1992 the Chapel was purchased by the Framework Knitters' Museum.

 

Modern facilities > A lot of children attended these schools but some were very poor and could not afford the penny per day and they were part-timers as they worked on the farms or in the Knitting Shops. When free schooling started the same buildings were used until the James Peacock Infant School was built in 1969.

 

In 1969 the boys school merged with the infants and girls school to form the mixed school known as St. Peter’s C of E Junior School. For a time the schools were administered by the then boys school headmaster, using the existing buildings.

 

The school in February 1973 moved to the buildings on Ashworth Avenue, which were previously occupied by the Ruddington County Secondary school, which opened in 1958.

Picture 1 1967
Picture 2 c. 1980-86
Picture 3 c. 1980-86
Picture 4 c. 2004
Picture 5 2013
Picture 6 New Footbridge, 2014
Picture 7 2015

Education in Ruddington throughout the years

1968

Nursery school

County Nursery school, Clifton Road - Head Teacher: Mrs R. E. White - Age range 2-5 years

Primary school

James Peacock County Infants school, Victoria Avenue - Head Teacher: Mrs K. M. Greenwood - Age range 5-7 years

Ruddington Endowed Boys school, The Green - Head Teacher: Mr D. W. Holloway - Age range 7-11 years

St Peter's C of E Girls school, Church Lane - Head Teacher: Miss J. Burnand - Age range 7-11 years

Secondary school

Ruddington County Secondary school, Ashworth Avenue - Head Teacher: Mr H. T. Burdett

Educational Institute - Adult Evening Classes

Ruddington County Secondary school, Ashworth Avenue

 

1973

Nursery school

County Nursery school, Clifton Road - Head Teacher: Mrs R. E. White - Age range 2-5 years. Number on Roll > 40

Primary school

James Peacock County Infants school, Victoria Avenue - Head Teacher: Mrs K. M. Greenwood - Age range 5-7 years. Number on Roll > 250

St Peter's C of E Junior school, Ashworth Avenue - Head Teacher: Mr J. C. Gregory - Age range 7-11 years. Number on Roll > 430

Secondary school

Rushcliffe Comprehensive school, Boundary Road, West Bridgford - Head Teacher: Mr W. N. Littlejohns. Number on Roll > 1,500

 

1986

Primary school

James Peacock Infant & Nursery school, Manor Park - Head Teacher: Mrs B. E. Callon - Age range 3-7 years

St Peter's C of E Junior school, Ashworth Avenue - Head Teacher: Mr P. Cast - Age range 7-11 years

Secondary school

Rushcliffe Comprehensive school, Boundary Road, West Bridgford - Head Teacher: Mr P. D. Chambers

 

2015

Primary school

James Peacock Infant & Nursery school, Manor Park - Head Teacher: Mr Richard Waldron - Age range 3-7 years

St Peter's C of E Junior school, Ashworth Avenue - Head Teacher: Mr John Mapperley - Age range 7-11 years

Secondary school

Rushcliffe school, Boundary Road, West Bridgford - Head Teacher: Mr Steve Lewis

 

 

 

Information gathered & produced by Mr L. Farrell, St Peter's C of E Junior School, 2015

Top